Creating STEM schools that are models of high-quality STEM instruction
The STEM Leaders Academy was created to increase the quality of STEM education throughout the State by providing consultation and professional development to leaders from aspiring STEM schools. During the year-long academy, school teams will be guided through a process to create a strategic plan and school-specific roadmap for improving STEM education and earning the Governor’s STEM School Designation.
OSIT is inviting applications from schools across the state to convene for a series of informational sessions, workshops, and team planning meetings. Participating school teams will receive STEM professional learning, develop a strategic plan, receive tools and resources, and have the opportunity to submit a grant application to OSIT for up to $20,000 to implement their strategic plan. Participating schools are encouraged to apply for the Governor’s STEM School Designation after implementing their plans.
The STEM Leaders Academy will investigate the following topics:
- Defining STEM
- School-wide systems that support a STEM culture
- STEM equity
- Staff buy-in
- Logic models
- SWOT analysis
- Science and Engineering Practices
- 3D Learning
- STEM integration
- Nevada STEM Framework
- Teamwork and collaboration
- Professional development
- Real-World problem solving
- Stakeholder engagement
- Community partnerships
- College and career STEM pathways
- School teams must be motivated and committed to enhancing STEM learning at the school
- School teams must consist of 5-8 people, and must include at least one administrator and teachers from a mix of grades and subjects
- Teams must commit to meeting times across the year (Funding for substitutes is not provided by OSIT)
- Schools at all levels of implementation are invited to apply.
- The academy is not a requirement to receive the Governor STEM School Designation. Alternatively, participation in the academy does not guarantee designation.
The Nevada STEM Leaders Academy was developed with assistance from the WPI STEM Education Center.
100 North Stewart Street, Suite 220
Carson City, Nevada 89701
Telephone: (775) 687-0989
Applications are now open. Apply here!
Governor's Designated STEM School
Want more information regarding the NV Governor’s STEM School Designation? READ MORE...