Public Records Requests
OSIT's Public Information Officer
100 North Stewart Street, Suite 220
Carson City, Nevada 89701
Telephone: (775) 687-0987
The Governor’s Office of Science, Innovation and Technology (OSIT) strives for government transparency by adhering to the requirements of Nevada Public Records Law NRS Chapter 239, and by posting many of its documents on the department’s website at: www.osit.nv.gov
Public Records Request Policy
Requests to OSIT can be made in writing. Nevada regulations (NAC 239.863) provide for this form when submitting requests to inspect, copy or receive a copy of public records; please keep in mind written requests allow staff to more effectively track and monitor a request. Written requests may be sent by U.S. Mail or email to the designated public information officer for the agency you are requesting records from.
The person requesting the information may be directed to the OSIT website (osit.nv.gov), where many documents are posted online in PDF and/or Word format.
Please note, a state agency is not required, nor is it obligated, to comply with a request for information that is not compiled or tracked as a standard procedure of the agency, or that is compiled or tracked in a different way by the agency. Further, the agency is not obligated to create new materials to comply with a public record document request.
Public Records Requests
To submit a public records request:
You can submit your request either of the following ways:
- Email: to Debbie Petrelli - email@example.com
- U.S. Mail: to the Governor’s Office of Science, Innovation, and Technology, Attention: Public Information Officer, 100 N. Stewart Street, Ste 220, Carson City NV 89701
- Requests should be as specific as possible and include the requester’s contact information.
- The Department will respond to the request within five business days.
- If the request cannot be fulfilled within five business days, the Department will provide written notice of that fact, let the requester know the earliest date and time it reasonably believes the record will be available, and may work with the requester to focus the request so the Department can respond as expeditiously as possible.
Fees for Public Records
Per NRS 239.052, a government entity is permitted to charge a fee for the actual cost incurred in the provision of a public record. This includes, without limitation, the cost of ink, toner, paper, media, and postage.
Pursuant to NRS 239.052(2), OSIT chooses to waive this fee except for the following exceptions:
- Hard copy requests of 50 or more single pages
- Postage costs
- The media used to provide electronic records (e.g., thumb drive, discs)
The Department will inform the requester of any fees prior to responding to the request.
- Black and white copies, up to 8.5” x 11”: $0.05 per page
- Color, up to 8.5” x 11”: $0.50 per page
- Compact Disc/DVD/Thumb Drive: $5.00 per device
Nevada Public Records Act: A Manual for State Agencies