STEM Leaders Academy
100 North Stewart Street, Suite 220
Carson City, Nevada 89701
Telephone: (775) 687-0989
Fax: (775) 687-0990
NV Governor's STEM School Action Guide
Creating STEM schools that are models of high-quality STEM instruction
The STEM Leaders Academy was created to increase the quality of STEM education throughout the State by providing consultation and professional development to leaders from aspiring STEM schools. During the five day workshop taking place throughout the school year, schools will be guided through a process to create a strategic plan and school-specific roadmap for improving STEM education and receiving the Governor’s STEM School Designation.
OSIT is inviting applications from schools across the state to convene for five days of professional development and strategic planning to improve STEM education and achieve the Governor’s STEM School Designation. Participating school teams will receive STEM professional development, develop a strategic plan, participate in an end-of-year student showcase, and have the opportunity to submit a grant application to OSIT for up to $20,000 to implement their strategic plan. Participating schools are invited to apply for the Governor’s STEM School Designation.
The STEM Leaders Academy will investigate the following topics:
- 3D Learning
- Career Connections
- Engineering Challenges
- Engineering Design Process
- Logic Models
- Nevada STEM Framework
- Professional Development
- Real-World Problem Solving
- Science and Engineering Practices
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Teamwork and Collaboration
- What is STEM?
- School teams must consist of 5-8 people, and must be composed of two administrators and at least three teachers
- Administrators must submit a letter of commitment to implement the academy’s resulting strategic plan
- Teams must commit to meet for full-day Friday workshops five times across the year (Funding for substitutes is not provided by OSIT)
Note: Schools at all levels of implementation are invited to apply.
The next round of applications will open Spring 2019. Please check back or email Tracey Gaffney to be added to the listserve.
The Nevada STEM Leaders Academy was developed with assistance from the WPI STEM Education Center.